About Comedy

JIMMY KIMMELScott Morefield recently related how in an interview, comedian Jimmy Kimmel stated that he doesn’t care that his liberal politics has resulted in a large percentage of the viewing public to desert him, particularly his views on Obamacare and gun control.

Well okay … and it appears that what motivates Kimmel to support Obamacare is self-interest; he has a young child at home.  Never mind that much like the politicians who support the program (Pelosi, Clinton, Schumer), Kimmel is rich enough that the cost of even the most expensive medical procedure would hardly make a dent in his bank account.  Kimmel, it would appear, is one of those liberal elites who has lost touch with reality.

So, here’s a dose of reality published in Money Magazine: In Michigan, state officials approved price hikes of 16.7% for individuals purchasing health insurance in 2017.  Individual buyers can expect increases of 20% in Colorado, and from 19% to 43% in Iowa next year.  These increases are actually on the low side when compared with states like Minnesota and Oklahoma, where individual plans will experience a 50% increase in costs.  One begins to wonder how the Affordable Care Act is affordable for the average Joe.  On what basis does Jimmy Kimmel support this program?

But now let’s examine the title of this post.  Comedy is a dramatic work that is light and humorous, or satirical in tone that usually contains a happy resolution to thematic conflict.  Stand-up comedy is usually performed by one person offering a monologue, and we would imagine it also to be light and humorous.  Will Rogers comes to mind, where in reaching out to his audiences (the average Joe) he offered observations about political figures or policies.  Rogers once observed, “Everything is changing.  People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.”

GriffinThe question remains: what is humorous about anything Jimmy Kimmel says on his late-night ABC television program?  His shtick is a far cry from what we heard from Johnny Carson, but even Jimmy Kimmel is tame when compared to Kathy Griffin, who is not only unamusing, she’s also loutish and whacked.  When did we begin to think that the vulgarity associated with Red Foxx, Lewis Black, or Richard Pryor was in any way humorous or entertaining?  Who is willing to pay top dollar to spend an evening with uncouth, boorish people like these?

Now back to Kimmel, who doesn’t seem to care that he’s losing market share for his employer, the American Broadcasting Corporation.  I’m quite sure ABC television cares, which suggests that Kimmel is someone who is so out of touch with reality, or so lacking in common sense that he doesn’t know who it is that butters his bread.  Hint: it is the people who tune in to hear what he has to say.  If 30% or more of his audience is leaving the show, it will have a significant impact on the revenues that ABC collects from advertisers.  It is all about the money, you see —which is completely logical and fair: ABC is in the entertainment business, and if people aren’t being entertained …

There are other televised “comedians,” of course … and too many of these have somehow reached a place where they think that we (the people) are entitled to their political views.  If I wanted to spend an evening with utterly incomprehensible political views, I’d turn to MSNBC or CNN.  These “comedians” seem unaware that more than half of the American people DO NOT share their political views —and yet, if this is in fact the case, why are so many people willing to stand in long lines and pay exorbitant prices to hear them use the “F” bomb, or ridicule the man most Americans voted for in the last election, or even to mock the things that most Americans care about —such as the escalating costs of health care, or the right to bear arms, or the right of freedom of expression?

Of course, we do live in a free country and comedians have the right to express their views (so long as television producers are willing to incur dwindling revenues).  At the same time, you and I have the right to ignore people like Kimmel and Griffin because neither of these people are humorous or entertaining, and speaking only for myself, I don’t care what they think —about anything.

This entry was posted in Society. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to About Comedy

1. Kid says:
    Any celebrity or performer is the last person I’d go to for an opinion. Carson was balanced, as was Leno – they had jokes about both sides. If they had a political opinion is was that they didn’t like politicians. I can identify with that. I’ve never seen Kimmel and don’t even watch late night TV, but I have had Griffin shoved in my face on some ‘news’ pages. That grotesque moron should be sent on a one way trip to Syria and made into an ISIS bride.

Liked by 2 people

2. John M. Berger says:

@Kid,
    Griffin: “That grotesque moron should be sent on a one way trip to Syria and made into an ISIS bride.”

WOW, You must REALLY have-it-in for ISIS!

Liked by 1 person

3. bydesign001 says:

Jimmy Kimmel is an out of touch buffoon. Everytime he speaks on the un-Affordable Care Act, I cringe.

Liked by 1 person

• Mustang says:

As I indicated in my post, he is entitled to his opinion, and I am entitled not to sit through a lecture from a comedian. Thank you for your comment, BD.

4. John M. Berger says:

Until lately I’d never seen nor heard of Jimmy Kimmel. I feel blessed! BTW, thanks for the heads-up; I’ll try to go easy on Little Debbie from here-on-out.

Liked by 1 person

5. Kimmel was the other idiot on The Man Show.
    Hard to believe he’s taken seriously after that.
    His comments about his concern for his audience share is an echo of the NFL moron who said something similar: If people are offended by his taking a knee, watch something else.

Liked by 1 person

• Mustang says:

Imagine that the President of the United States visited any NFL team and team members all took a knee. It would be utterly disrespectful and intolerable. Just as it is disrespectful and despicable during our National anthem.

Liked by 1 person

• Kid says:

Great way to say it Mustang.

If I may, Taking a knee during the anthem is about as useful as michelle obama sending out a tweet and a hashtag in an effort to get hundreds of young girls back from the boko harem savages.

That almost says more to me. The absolute uselessness of it all. These guys aren’t even 3 yr olds to me.

Liked by 1 person

• Mustang says:

Yes, you’re right; infantile millionaires, which probably explains the 1,900 felony and misdemeanor charges filed against NFL members over the past several years.

• Kid says:

Was it Bunkerville that posted that NFL players commit a crime every 7 days on average?

• Mustang says:

Yes it was; Bunk is a great researcher!

• Any time proper respect isn’t displayed, it is a sign of disrespect.
      They can say what they want about their motives, or that they don’t intend to disrespect the flag or nation; nonetheless, they are.

Liked by 1 person

• Mustang says:
      I agree Ed … and I keep scratching my head about these multi-millionaire ball players experiencing white oppression or institutional racism. If these young men do not want to be arrested by the police, maybe they should reconsider slapping their women and children around, fighting animals, driving their expensive cars while inebriated, or starting brawls in upper-class bars.

Liked by 1 person

6. Jersey Jack says:

‘and speaking only for myself, I don’t care what they think —about anything.”

And I truly believe they know this and don’t give a damn. It’s the coastal liberal toads and turds way of giving one-half of the country the middle finger in their ongoing civil and cultural war against the other half of the country. Their bitterness over their loss last year has emboldened them to cause verbal riots and disdain for all that we in the middle of these skunks hold sacred. It’s the war against Christians not only being waged by savage Muslims throughout the world but they have aligned themselves, knowingly, with such ant American forces. and I believe that there will be more bloodshed before this is all settled for good.

And the NFL? Remember that 75% of all Africans are birthed illegitimately by the new cultural phenomena called…’single mothers”.

Liked by 1 person

• Mustang says:
      Your comment contains several important and complex themes, Jack. I am unable to respond to each of them in a cogent way —or at least, not without several boring paragraphs. I believe the issue of single parenthood has been with us for a very long time, my friend; it is not a recent phenomenon … nor is this a problem confined to the black community. Not all of these situations are a result of promiscuity; men who abandoned them forced many single mothers into their circumstances. The federal government’s effort has so far been limited to throwing money at single mothers. It has never worked and where I feel the problem must be addressed is within their own communities. I do favor “community chests” more than I do federal or state welfare mechanisms. It will never happen; too many political careers depend on maintaining the status quo.

• Jersey Jack says:

“I believe the issue of single parenthood has been with us for a very long time, my friend; it is not a recent phenomenon … nor is this a problem confined to the black community.”

You may be right Mustang, there certainly is more white trash than I can recall from previous years. However, it has become “fashionable” to see so many women who find it unnecessary to have husbands or enter into the sanctity of a conventional, normal, loving union through marriage. The type of union many of us here have honored and lived with for many, many years.
      And I think that happened when People magazine and all the other supermarket checkout rags started honoring and holding these women up as the new modern, acceptable way of starting a familly. So long as Hollywood sanctifies such behavior than what do we expect? Except seeing more little girls whose legs have been pried open by opportunistic scum willing to get their freebies and never have to pay. While society is expected to raise their”mistakes which are no longer labeled as such…lest we are deemed rednecks or born again unhip, slugs to them. But I think we now know, after all the slime, crimes of rape, assault and criminal behavior that oozes from the pores of the filthy “Harvey’s” of Hollywood, that their masks have now been removed for all to see. Or will they just bury it and the 50 or more lives they’ve affected and ignored? Just in time for the fall lineups and the coming nominations for the Oskars around the corner….now to be missing, it’s favorite pimps.

7. geeez2014 says:

He actually said that if people didn’t want to hear his views on Obamacare and gun control “I probably wouldn’t want to speak to them, anyway”…Remember, the Left can’t take a conversation with two sides.

Liked by 2 people

• Mustang says:

I am still left wondering why any of these people think that we are entertained by their political commentary. We the people need a break from the lunacy that is our government and we can’t even get that on late-night television.

Liked by 1 person