Nikki Haley

Tom Rogan, writing for the Washington Examiner, recently declared that UN Ambassador Nikki Haley is the finest US Ambassador in fifty years.  At this point, Rogan has assumed the opposite view of one of Haley’s initial critics —a Democratic hack from the University of Baltimore.   She may be the finest ambassador, but I think we’ll need a bit more than eight-months to sort her out.  I’m not one of those people who easily admire public servants —at least not until they’ve had a chance to prove themselves.  In Haley’s case, I do have a few reservations.

Haley 001Yes, it is true that Ambassador Haley rallied members of the United Nations to approve new sanctions on North Korea, which according to Rogan, demonstrates that Haley has credibility with her contemporaries.  And it’s also true that Haley is (so far) a breath of fresh air following the past eight-years of diplomatic incompetence.  Yet, I am a bit concerned over Haley’s position on Syria.

History tells us that for the United States (and we are not alone), the Middle East has become a quagmire; a place where a prosperous nation is able to chuck away its material wealth and pour out into the sand the blood of their warriors.  Possibly the reason for this is that no American executive or diplomat appears to understand all they know about Middle Eastern culture.  I cannot say that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad deserves humanitarian awards, but I will go so far as to suggest that he is a victim of Arab politics.  For starters, one should wonder about the clandestine machinations of Saudi Arabia in Syria.  A few relevant facts include the following:

• Syria is a country predominantly populated by Sunni Arabs, but led by Alawites (Shi’a Arabs).
  • Al-Assad’s principle enemy are the Saudis, a land predominantly populated by Shi’a Arabs, but led by Sunnis.

The differences between Alawites and Sunnis in Syria have sharpened dangerously since the beginning of the 2011 uprising against President Bashar al-Assad, whose family is Alawite. The reason for the tension is more political than religious: Top positions in Assad’s army are held by Alawite officers, while most of the rebels from the Free Syrian Army and other opposition groups come from Syria’s Sunni majority. ​

If we just stop there, who might be behind the so-called revolution in Syria?

As for Russia’s involvement in Syria, while George Bush was gazing into Vladimir Putin’s soul and finding a “truly good man,” and as Obama made the world tour apologizing for America’s sacrifices in the Twentieth Century, Vlad was embarked on a robust Middle Eastern diplomatic tour (as both President and Prime Minister of the Russian Federation) making deals with Middle Eastern potentates, primarily in Iran, Turkey, and Syria.  Who knew that a former communist would one day become a raging capitalist?  To summarize, while the United States was squandering its political capital, Putin was investing it.

So, as Mr. Rogan admits Haley has been unable to “guide Trump away from appeasing Russia,” he gloats over Haley’s condemnation of Syria’s slaughter of innocents.  Rogan told us, “… Haley has made the US the leading voice for Syrian Sunnis.”

Seriously?

Rogan thinks this is important because, “… it represents the return of American moral leadership after eight years of Obama administration neglect,” and “… it helps consolidate the Sunni-Arab monarchies in believing that the U.S. will not allow Iran, Assad, and Russia to set the path of the Middle East uncontested.”  If the Sunnis lack this faith in American morality, then the Saudis will double-down on groups like the Islamic State[1].

To me, it appears Haley merely continues a time-honored American ritual behaving as useful idiots to Arabs.  Who drove two airplanes into the World Trade Center?  Sunnis.  Why do our leaders continue to appease those who seek the destruction of western (Judeo-Christian) culture?  Is this the best America can do?  If it is, then I must reserve my judgment about Haley.

Note:

[1] The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), also Daesh, is an Arab Salafi (Sunni) sect of psychotics who receive direct and indirect support from Saudi Arabia.  This “murder for hire” scheme is likely the reason Ambassador Stevens was murdered in Libya.

This entry was posted in Justice, Truth. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Nikki Haley

1. Kid says:

I don’t feel like I know much of anything about Haley – even as governor. I don’t have much use for diplomacy either. I’d be inclined in most cases to tell other countries that we won’t mess with them unless we are forced to. Don’t call us we’ll call you.

As far as Russia, I support a friendly relationship with them. I think it’s easier to see when one of your friends steps out of line and that it may help deter such events assuming the other party finds it valuable to maintain the freindly relationship.

Liked by 1 person

• Mustang says:
      It is true: America cannot boast of its diplomats since John Hay and Elihu Root. Nations, as with individuals, always act upon their perceived best interests. We should expect Russia to pursue its interests, and we should pursue ours without having to compromise who we are. This business in Syria is plainly idiotic and I can almost guarantee to you this: Moslems are laughing at America’s diplomatic naïveté, or if you prefer, our idiocy.

Liked by 1 person

• Imp says:

Considering the times we live in and the scum we’re forced to tolerate, I’d think Russia should be and could very well be our sole natural ally. Especially in this undeclared war against Is-slime.Russia doesn’t fool around with them nor entertain them like we foolishly do. I truly believe that with such an alliance we’d have the world, especially the mudslide world by the balls. 50 years of confrontation has been enough .It’s time to bring the bear in for a beer. Tillison has lot’s of experience with them….he’s helped to make many of them filthy rich.

• Mustang says:
      @ Imp … you could be right, but I personally would not trust a Russian any further than I could toss them. I will admit that they have the warrior ethos, but they have the brain of a duck. I would be quite happy if the United States would stand straight, embrace our own warrior culture, and always do the things that serve the American people. We do not need Russia for that. The politicians WE elected are the problem, which means the WE are the problem.

• Kid says:

IMP, Mustang. In regards to Russia having the brain of a duck… If you look at the comment section on any RT.com article, there will be an over-abundance of Russians talking about how the USA and the ‘joooos’ are the great satan’s of the world. They must be brainwashed pretty good.

Liked by 1 person

2. Kid says:

I’d say the moslems have Much to laugh at when it comes to America.

3. John M. Berger says:

Our efforts toward world-wide diplomacy would become a lot easier if the Shit-ites and the Loonies would just annihilate each other!

Liked by 1 person

• Mustang says:
      One of the more amazing things about Americans is that they are out of touch with reality. On the one hand, you have people on the right (or middle-right) like Haley who seem not to understand as much as they know about the true enemy of Western Civilization, and on the other, complete nimrods on the left who want to extend values to Moslems which are adversative to our cultural beliefs. The look on the faces of feminists who support Islam when they are awaiting FGM would have to be priceless, or of homosexuals about to be hung from a cherry picker. I feel that this is the likely consequence of what our education system has become. My view is different from those of most Americans; to borrow from something Reagan said: tolerate but verify. We owe Moslem culture nothing whatsoever … and the sooner we come to terms with this reality, the better for Americans.

Liked by 1 person

4. I cringed when I read the following:

[Rogan] gloats over Haley’s condemnation of Syria’s slaughter of innocents.

Why did I cringe?

Because I keep hearing, overtly stated or implied, “Bashar al-Assad has to go!”

I believe that overthrowing Bashar al-Assad would result in even more mayhem in the Middle East. Has he slaughtered innocents? Probably. But over there in the Middle East, there really are no good actors. Therefore, I cannot see that Bashar al-Assad would likely be replaced with “someone better.”

Call me “Consummate Skeptic AOW.” 😉

Liked by 1 person

5. Kid says:

I’m with you AOW.

Liked by 1 person

• As am I.
      I have been trying to understand the MiddleEast in the terms of monolithic Sunni/Shia blocks for years because smarter people than me have been insisting on it.
      The ME is more like turf war, except for Iran. They’re just plain nuts. With a plan.
      I see Assad as a Michael Corleone.
      Started out as an eye doctor, doing good, not going into the business. Then his brother gets knocked off and he’s gotta step in.
      “He’s bombing his own people!”.
      So did Sherman and Grant.
      Great post. Haley is too new to be called great.
      So what’s the motive in calling her such?

• Kid says:

Not sure what you mean ED. I was agreeing with AOW in that removing Assad may not end well. So far everyone who has been removed in the ME, resulted in a much worse environment.

• I’m sorry for not being more clear.
      There were two or three thoughts in there.
      First, I agree with you and AOW that Assad should be left in place.
      If he is a monster, it probably was from necessity. The family business formed that. But the other mobs (the Sauds for instance) threaten his family.
      As for the Sunni/Shia conflict?
      Years ago, the Sunnis were the peaceful ones, unlike the Iranian Shias who were promoting terrorism.
      That’s a false dichotomy.
      They’re all bad.
      Now I’ll get some coffee.

Liked by 1 person

• Mustang says:

Agree … all bad times 10.

6. John M. Berger says:

@Kid, et al:
    “So far everyone who has been removed in the ME, resulted in a much worse environment.”
    Yes and as much as I despised Sadam that is on display in Iraq.

Liked by 2 people

7. Mustang says:

@John … why despise Saddam? If he murdered ten thousand Sunnis would that be ten thousand lesss assholes in the world?

8. geeez2014 says:

I’ve seen Haley be much tougher on rogue countries than predecessors….and N Korea seems to have quieted for the time being. I’m going to reserve judgment and be optimistic…since there are so FEW things to be optimistic about in this administration

Liked by 1 person

• Mustang says:
      There is nothing wrong with being “cautiously optimistic,” is there? Following the death of Yasser Arafat, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice strenuously insisted that the PLO be allowed to select their new government in a democratic process. And, of course, the Palestinians elected a terrorist government. The incident merely serves to remind us how horribly incompetent our State Department is (and has been for many years) and no matter how good her intentions, our UN Ambassador has become another useful tool in the Islamic tool box. This bothers me a great deal.

Liked by 1 person